Posts Tagged ‘Syria’
As concerned citizens based in the UK, we call on the UK government not to launch airstrikes in Syria, but instead to,
1) Exercise restraint and exhaust all avenues of diplomacy with all interested parties.
2) Take full responsibility and hold itself accountable for the illegality of the Iraq war and the continuance of the Afghanistan war, its colonial exploits, and its extra military actions which significantly contributed to the rise of the instability of various regions as we see today;
3) De-escalate from the perpetual violence, and reduce militarisation both at home and abroad, and actively pursue peaceful alternatives to military intervention;
4) Accept responsibility for the resettlement of all refugees created by the actions of the UK, in the so-called “War on Terror,” and resist scapegoating those who are victims in this tragic string of events;
5) We believe that repeating the disastrous choices made by the UK after the events of September 11th 2001 would result in further destabalisation which would have unpredictable and devastating consequences.
This cycle of violence and exploitation has to end now;
We condemn all killing and human-rights abuse in Syria and the region, whoever is responsible.
War is terror.
( Adapted from statement by Iraq Veterans Against the War )
WAR IS A BUSINESS
Since the Paris Attacks arms companies shares rise.
Arms dealers stocks rise sharply
British arms sales to the Middle East are probably fueling Isis, says
Human Rights Watch Calls on US to Stop Selling Bombs to Saudi Arabia
Tracking ISIS to DC’s doorsteps
UN Authorization does not necessarily give the right for attack on Syria
Member states urged to take “all necessary measures” but falls short of invoking Chapter VII of the UN charter which authorises military action to restore peace and security
Libya, example of failed liberation, exploitation and deception.
Speak out now against injustice to whom ever it may effect. Do not be lead by powerful ambitious people who thrive on the insane notion that you can bomb a country and a people into democracy. Listen to what the man says, he speaks plain and true. Do not be falsely mis-lead by government spin and propaganda. UK government must not get involved in proposed air strikes in Syria.
UK government take the lead politically and call on NATO and the International community to promote peace talks to include Syria and Iran.
Film clip featuring Charlie Chaplin in the Great Dictator ( 1940 )
Four-week US Embassy ‘Peace Picket’ ends today
(Sat 28 September) – Peace Strike will today dismantle its emergency 24hr ongoing ‘Peace Picket’ for Syria, outside the US Embassy in London.
Following the passing of a resolution last night by the United Nations Security Council, the immediate threat of Western military strikes on Syria appears to have passed. We shall nevertheless remain vigilant and be following events closely, responding with further action as required.
We recognize the plight of the Syrian people and the devastating consequences that the civil war has had on the Syrian people as a whole. As a direct result, 2 million refugees have fled into neighboring countries and that in turn has increased regional tension as countries try to accommodate them. There are also 4 million internally displaced people within the Syria.
What they desperately need now – foremost – is medical aid, supplies and equipment. The world’s military might is stationed in and around the Gulf and has the skill and ability to take a lead by helping the 500,000 seriously wounded people in Syria and take emergency action NOW.
It has to be the Syrian people themselves who initiate dialogue and negotiation towards peace within their country, together with the full cooperation and help from the wider international community. We support all initiatives that promote a peaceful solution for all concerned.
Peace Strike would like to take this opportunity to thank all who have supported our ‘peace picket’ in various ways, with special thanks to those who have helped maintain our physical, round-the-clock presence outside the embassy for nearly a month.
Watch this space for news of future actions!
Peace news article about Syrian nonviolence movement by Jessica Corbett.
Intervention in Syria will pave the way to war with Iran.